Sunday, August 7, 2011

Let's Talk Space Marines



What is left to say of the first book that was the herald of fifth edition? Various other blogs and websites have given advice of varying levels of usefulness concerning the viability of the army. Most recently, I have heard more talk about how this particular old book is outdated and powerless. Well, those familiar with the website Yes the Truth Hurts will see the thoughts behind the following list:

HQ
Librarian- Gateway of Infinity, Null Zone 100
Troops
4x 10 Tactical Marines- Meltagun, Combi-Melta, Missile Launcher, Rhino 920
5 Scouts- Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks, Heavy Bolter, Combi-Plasma 110
Elites
3x Dreadnoughts- 2 Twin-Linked Autocannons 375
Fast Attack
3x Land Speeders- Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer 210
Heavy Support
3x Predators- Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Hunter Killer Missiles 285

2000 points on the nose. I have to ask forgiveness as of right now, I do not have the requisite skills as of yet to show deployment and battle plans though something like VASSAL. I am working on it though! SO, as for deployment of this craziness, here are the general notions I have for deploying:

Always combat squad, double meltas in the Rhinos, missiles in back, on my objectives.
Two Rhinos rotate in front of the other two to give cover to the ones in the back. Here's a great article on it http://yesthetruthhurts.com/2011/05/rhino-tactica/
The Librarian will deploy with the Scouts, whose duty is anti-infantry. They will teleport when the game requires it.
The Dreadnoughts will deploy primarily in the open to draw shots. I hope to garner a 5+ cover save when possible.
Predators to the flanks for side shots.
The Land Speeders will Deep Strike.

What does this list have as far as tools are concerned? Thirteen vehicles certainly is not bad. I have plenty of mobility in the form of my Rhinos, Deep Strikers, and my Scouts for late-game grabs. My fire support is fine, and here's the breakdown:

6 twin-linked autocannons
3 regular autocannons
7 missiles (4 every turn)
3 multi-meltas
7 heavy bolters
4 snipers

Of the models required for this list, I am missing the Predators, one Speeder, and the Scouts. I hope to pick them up sometime in the near future. Later I will put up a list I hope to have up and running in time for a local 1750 tournament. It will be a scaled-down version of this list.

So, although this is brief, I hope I got the bottom line across about this list. While I did not address the power problem people claim about this book, I will either write a lengthy article about it later, or just go out and compete in tournaments and do battle reports about it. Probably both.

Turning the Wheel, Ishamael

No comments:

Post a Comment