Thursday, August 11, 2011

Terraria



What is there to say of a sandbox game that has no story, no real help through a tutorial, and all that happens is that you are given one copper sword, pickaxe, and axe, and told to just "go??

Awesomeness*

*refer to picture

NOW, this game is fashioned in such a way that every newly generated world is completely different than the others one plays. One can alter the size of the world- small, medium, large- and the only limit to what you do in the game is your imagination. Who would have thought that a game like this would be the closest thing I have done on my computer that is close to playing with friggen LEGOs? Now, I know some would instantly think of Minecraft. From what I understand that game is 3d, but I'm an old cod and I prefer my smexy sixteen bit graphics. Makes my SNES as happy as it is when I pray to it for dice luck. :D

So, from what I understand, there's a hierarchy of materials, where armor gets better from certain metals being used. I do not think that alloys can be made, BUT, the hierarchy goes something like this:

copper
iron
silver
gold

Then there's this crap called Demonite ore. It's rare as all getout, and it takes a lot to make any items out of it. As a side note, it seems to occur more where the corruption and crap is, except the monsters there are a bunch of whores, and it is hard to come by even then. :P

I think the most appealing aspect of this game is that one can just make a server, which is a pain in the ass process to do, and bring in some friends to explore with. I think this is the most interesting part of the game. You find a cave, then start delving until you can go down no more. Then, you have to ask yourselves which direction you want to go, then you continue on until you want to change direction, you come across a large reservoir, OR, if you're a damned fool and dig straight down past the rivers of lava, you find a demonic stronghold of things that will kick your ass right back up to the surface. Suffice to say, I haven't had the opportunity to kill many demons. Beneath the ground also happen to be treasure chests- both wooden and gold, for your classicists and ballers- as well as these crystal hearts that will give you +20 maximum hit points when broken and used. Above ground there are also fallen starts that, when you collect ten, increases your maximum mana by twenty. So far I have only found a single flaming spell, and it's this magic mirror that will teleport me back home for 20 mana. Pretty sweet when you've been digging the wrong damn way and end up on Satan's lawn as he's mowing the hair of the dead.

So yeah, watch out for demons underground.

As for the building aspect, which is the best part of the game as far as I'm concerned, you have various building materials. These range from sand to dirt, mud, clay, gold, silver, and stone. No marble, as far as I know. Know that large Fortress you wanted to build in a videogame for as long as you can remember? You can do that here. I even made a recent addition to my home that was several tiers of stone with a basement that led into what used to be an underground lake. So now it's a swimming pool. Win.

I still have a lot to go through on this game, given that I only just got it, BUT it's damned fun, and I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys the freedom to pretty much do whatever the hell you want.

Glory to the builders, Ishamael

No comments:

Post a Comment