Monday, September 5, 2011

What is a Gender Analysis?

So, I've run in to a bit of a conceptual conundrum. I want to do a "gender analysis" of the Wheel of Time books, but I can't say I'm sure what exactly I mean by that term in the context of the fantasy story. While analyzing the politics, both macro and micro of Randland will be a primary way I will make my observations, I think what I will need to do in order to focus my energies will be to go back to some of the readings from my Feminist Ethics and Epistemology class, which will primarily draw from Marylin Frye's concepts of feminism. What I may do for the time being, after I at least tease you all about the culture of Shienar and what the women there's status seems to reflect, is to give synopses of the essays from Marylin Frye's book The Politics of Reality: essays in feminist theory.

At least this will help my framework of what questions to ask while looking at the piece, specifically things like "what is oppression," or "conceptual harm."

Just thought I'd share that.

No comments:

Post a Comment