Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Worst Thing Nynaeve Does.

Well, a couple days ago I finished A Crown of Swords. In it, towards the end, Moghedian finds herself in Ebou Dar, and happens to see Nynaeve out of the corner of her eye. She is going to the Sea Folk to discuss the Bowl of the Winds. So, Moghedian gets to a rooftop, sees the boat Nynaeve hopped on, and commences to use Balefire on the ship. Then we get that scene where Lan hops in to save her, yet she finally actually surrenders to saidar, and severs her block as a wilder that's been so much trouble to her.

It's all hunky-dory until you learn that two Redarms got Balefired on that boat. Two men burned from the Pattern, never to be reborn into the world again, and Nynaeve does not even want to tell Mat what happened. Hell, Lan is the one that tells him what happened to the two Redarms.

I know Nynaeve is avoiding Mat as much as possible, but does she have to be such an uncaring cunt that she won't even tell their commander that two of his men died protecting her from one of the Forsaken?

The import of this scene only came to me during this latest read, and it's really bugging me. Sure, she gets pissed off after she learns that Lan told Mat, yet she does nothing to show Mat her, well, toh for their service. Mat is only told that they got killed, but not that they were Balefired.

This bugs me, and I hope that Nynaeve actually does apologize later. I don't know, but I've started Path of Daggers already, so we'll see.

Just something on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment