Monday, July 9, 2012

Class Design: The Paladin

Salvete,

Continuing my ideas of how to redesign some of the classes to be distinct in their own way, it's time to work on the Paladin.  I think 4th edition has it right that there can be paladins of different Gods of different alignments, so I won't be changing that.  Sacrilege, I know.

First off, no plate at level 1.  For anybody.

Next, I want to bring back Detect X, where X is the opposite of the second part of your alignment.  So it's either Detect Evil, or Detect Good.  With that in mind, I can then bring back a really cool class feature: Smite.

Smite
Encounter
Charisma vs. Will
12 + Charisma modifier damage.
Special: A paladin may only use this power a number of times per day equal to his Charisma modifier, with a minimum of one.  This power may be used only against monsters that one's Detect ability identifies.  The base damage increases to 24 at 11th level, and 36 at 21st level.

Finally, I would like to bring back the whole "special mount" thing.  At fifth level, the paladin gains the service of a superior example of an animal.  The mount can be called once per day, and it remains for a number of hours equal to one's paladin level.

To try and keep the paladin similar to the fighter, I think that taking away his at-will powers will help make them more similar.  Both classes will keep their special challenges though.

As for the Channel Divinity class feature, add an option where the paladin can get his chosen deity's divinity power without spending a feat, because those things are damned precious.

Truthfully, I'm fine with keeping the rest of the class as-is, and I find that these new features will help differentiate him outside of being able to wear heavier armor than the fighter, as well as getting healing abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment