Thursday, July 5, 2012

Class Design: The Fighter Part 2

So, I've been thinking about two class features that would be cool for the fighter, given his lack of at-will powers to make it slightly more fun than "I hit it with my sword."  To that end, I think I should detail two class features: Fighter Weapon Specialization and Stances.

Fighter Weapon Specialization:
The fighter picks a specific weapon, and gains +1 to his proficiency, damage, and critical threat range at level 1.  These bonuses increase by +1 at level 11, then a further +2 at level 21.

Stances:
Here's a concept I've seen in quite a few games now, but I think that the fighter here could benefit from having some stances that the fighter can assume as a minor action.  Seeing as the game already has the Total Defense option, let's add an attack option to the fighter.  To continue with the theme, give him the Total Attack option, which adds +1 to his attack and damage roll, but subtracts 1 from each defense.  Next, I want to add one last option here, one that could be called Counter Attack.  The fighter gives up his standard action to go defensive, yet gets no defense bonus.  Instead, if someone attacks him with a melee attack, he can attempt to perform a counter, which would be resolved against Reflex, and if it hits, the attack gets nullified, then the fighter can make an attack of opportunity against the triggering enemy.

I'm still working on how to address the weapon homogenization problem, but to do that I also have to change the classes of armor in order to do that.

The fighter.  He hits stuff good.

No comments:

Post a Comment