Monday, September 8, 2014

Preliminaries about D&D 5e



                I would like to begin this review of D&D’s fifth edition with a short primer on price.  As I sit here, my other RPG books around me, I look to four examples of prices I have willingly paid for the ability to have the core books.  Of these, I found my AD&D core books in a used book store for very cheap, something like forty dollars in total for the three, but looking at the prices on the back by the ISBN, back in the day they would have cost a total of ninety.  My 3.5 books?  About the same price.  When fourth edition came out I decided to get the three which came with the large book sleeve to put them in.  That was one hundred and five dollars.  Finally, Pathfinder, which I also got used, the real price being ninety dollars.
                I see a theme here: pay approximately ninety dollars for your three or so core books, and you’re good to go- never have to buy a book again!
                Then tell me, O Wizards of Emptying Wallets, why the new core books cost a collective, shocking one hundred and fifty dollars?!  I have not seen a person bring up the bloody price point as regards this alleged “return to form” of D&D.  In every other case I have found the purchase of RPG books to hold far more value and replayability than any other form of entertainment, especially videogames.
                I question here.  I hear “modular” thrown about as regards this game so much I have to expect them to release books on a similarly insane schedule like they did for fourth edition to just give you extra rules to play by, but only if you want to, I mean, you can just get rid of every rule in the game; it’s D&D!
                Moving along with the “return to form” quip I keep hearing about, it will be profitable to consider which kind of return they’re wanting.  They naturally won’t want to continue on with what they did for fourth edition, if only because sales suffered because they made too many books for 3.5, so the question comes up: Which edition is being returned to?  From what I have read and the words associated with this release, I can only conclude that it’s supposed to be a return to AD&D. 
                My understanding is that third edition was a powergaming nightmare, wrought by the game being bought by Wizards of the Coast, and it being so pissed off all the AD&D gamers who were used to there being more natural danger to the adventuring business.  Combine with this radical changes, some of which were quite good, and the older player base was lost.  Kids who grew up with videogames must have become their target audience then, but three scant years later they “patched” third edition to be more palatable and serviceable. 
                If we assume that they were trying to “bring back” AD&D while making the game something new and appealing to a modern audience, we inherently find a contradiction.  These are two racially different markets: the old players enjoyed the danger and challenge, while gamers today enjoy power while not savoring the difficulty of a game much.
                How do I know this?  Look at the game rules regarding characters for each edition, starting with AD&D.  Then, look to 3.5- characters are much stronger by comparison.  Proficiencies are gone, replaced with “You are good with all X weapons and armors Y and Z.”  Wizards and other arcane casters gained more spells, the ability to scribe scrolls for the former, and generally became much stronger.  Pathfinder does much the same thing, although the monsters strike me as being good enough to still provide a challenge.  Fourth edition gave everyone ridiculous amounts of power, ranging from the at-wills, encounter, and daily powers.  I’m expecting this trend to actually continue once I start looking at the character classes. 
                For brevity’s sake I will end here for now.  To simply recap, the game is damned expensive, especially in today’s money, there’s an inherent contradiction in saying this game is somehow new-yet-old-school, and currently my expectation is for the characters to have too much power early on, just like in the previous edition.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment